The Phi Ta Khon (Ghost) Festival
The Phi Ta Khon festival is the biggest attraction to the otherwise sleepy farming village of Dan Sai, nestled in the mountains of Loei province of northeastern Thailand. The event is peculiar to Dan Sai, but does combine elements of other Isaan festivals, such as the rocket festivals to bring rain. Although pinning down the dates of Phi Ta Khon was once an issue, with the village elders only naming the dates a few weeks beforehand, the festival is now fixed at the first weekend after the sixth full moon annually
Phi Ta Khon, one of the most colourful traditional festivals of Loei province, is a unique masked procession which takes place during a three-day Buddhist merit-making holiday known locally as Boon Prawat. This annual event, sometimes called The Ghost Mask Festival by foreign tourists, will be held from 16-18 June 2018 in the village of Dan Sai in Loei. The whole event is called Bun Luang, and the highlight of this unique festival is a long, colourful parade of young people who dance and strike poses while wearing huge masks made from carved coconut-tree trunks, topped with wicker work and sticky-rice steamers. These represent ghosts and as they parade they carry a sacred Buddha image. It is thought that the festival originated as a form of spirit worship with music and dancing to appease the spirits who protect the local villages and ensure plenty of rain for the upcoming harvest season
Your tour includes
- 10 nights in handpicked hotels
- Breakfast daily; Full Thai lunches & dinners
- Multilingual Tour Director
- Private Service Vehicle
- Guided sightseeing and all entrance fees
Your tour highlights
- You’ll be in the land of Superstition!
- There’s nothing more exciting than an entire town hell-bent on a party!
- To say you’ll eat well would be an understatement. Guaranteed you'll gain weight!
- Cosatumes like none other, from sublime to full-on!
- Dan Sai is midway between North & East, unbelievable routes to & from
- History comes alive this exceptional weekend!
PERFECT HONEYMOON for us
Our tour guides were fantastic and made a big difference to our experience. It was a joy to use a flawless travel company. They arranged everything so we didn't have to worry about details.We were honestly so pleased with our trip that we don't think we would change anything.8.5 / 103 0
- Extended Tours
- Rewards / Corporate
- Culture & Heritage
Need help booking? Talk to us!+66 (0)93-297-9600 firstname.lastname@example.org WhatsApp Facebook Messenger
- Accommodation basing on twin-sharing with daily breakfast at 3* hotels.
- Private air-conditioned transfer.
- English & Thai-speaking guide service.
- Sightseeing, admission fees and entrance fees as specified.
- VAT and service charge.
- Guests expected to organise Travel / Riding insurance with their home providers..
- Drinks not from our Service Vehicle
- All of airfares, airport tax, visa fee
- Personal expenses, optional visit and other services unspecified
- Surcharge for special occasion, gala dinner on Christmas, New Year,…
- Please Follow This Booking Advisory: For your convenience you may book flights after Your Tour
- i) Book Required Tour. Create User Account
- ii) Subsequently grab the BEST airfares, usually 8-10weeks before travel
- iii) We'll Check your Booking & be in touch (usually within 48hrs): Confirming Your Booking / Dates / Extras etc
- iv) Remit Deposit Amount (15%) of Invoice (Taxes all Included in our prices)
- v) You're Booked! We'll be in touch regarding details, bits & pieces, etc. Your Booking remains infinitely variable apart from the 'Core-Tour-Dates', anything else maybe edited by you, at any time for your personal convenience
- Please take a look at our FAQ's Page Here, there will be the answers that I'm then able to elaborate on for individual cases
- Payment in full required 60days before Tour Commences. Cancellation after that date; 80% until 30days, 50% until 14days & 30% after